I confess…. I’ve made these before. I also confess… they are “outrageous”. I also confess… they disappeared within a day.
So I am very far behind in my blog posts. I do apologize. I am not managing my time wisely! I made these brownies for a BBQ we had Memorial Day weekend. I won’t go into big specifics on how delish these were…. more like fudge then a brownie… but this picture should say it all. Sorry Kristen, but this is a funny picture! Also, notice the hand reaching in from the other side of the table….
Here is the recipe:
Source: Barefoot Contessa-Ina Garten
Serves: Makes @ 20 large brownies
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee powder ( I only used a smidge, or I sometime leave it out. Gets us too wired!)
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cups flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups diced walnut pieces ( I left these out)
How to pull it all together:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.
- Melt together the butter, chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and chocolate chips with flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not overbake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.