I’m not going to knock the convenience of the frozen food case… but if you have a bit of time these are totally worth the few extra minutes to make from scratch. Coming to us from More Super Secret Restaurant Recipes book, courtesy of mommy in law, is the T.G.I.Friday’s potato skins…
We’ve all ordered them at one point or another… probably bought them from your local grocery in the familiar red and white package. However, making them from scratch (without freezer burn) was sooo yummy! I made them as part of a football lineup… it also included a magical recipe for chili made with beer (I’ve made it multiple times, and yet keep forgetting to take pictures of it).
The recipe in the book was for a “healthier version”… but since I was making it for 8 guys watching football I did away with that… I’ve posted the original recipe and my ‘tweaks’ to make it unhealthier (if that’s a word).
T.G.I.Friday’s Potato Skins
Source: More Super Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur
Makes 4 appetizer servings
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- canola nonstick cooking spray (I think I used spray and a bit of oil on the pan)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese ( I used the full on fatty kind and it was gooooood!)
- 8 teaspoons Hormel Real Bacon Pieces (blech… I chopped up a ton of real bacon and fried the bits until crispy)
- 1 tablespoon fresh snipped chive
- 1/3 cup sour cream
How to pull it all together:
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Bake the potatoes for 1 hour or until tender
- When they have cooled enough to handle, make two lengthwise cuts through each potato, resulting in 3 1/2″ to 3/4″ pieces (you know, like a potato skin!)
- Discard middle slices or save for some other dish, this will leave you with 2 potato skins per potato
- With a spoon, scoop some of the potato out of each skin being sure to leave @ 1/4″ of potato inside the skin.
- Turn oven up to 450