KACHOW!! That is what can be said about this…. take a look at the big tray I made… between 6 people it was gone… very quickly!
So easy to make….and not a bank account killer either… really very reasonable! Which is good because this recipe was chosen as the first Barefoot on a Budget Challenge. I made a ton of it and although I didn’t save the receipts (I’m bad I know!) it fed a lot of people for not a lot of $$. This was the appetizer we did for our Memorial Day BBQ. It was so good… try it!
Bruschetta with Sauteed Sweet Peppers and Creamy Gorgonzola
Source: Ina Garten
Serves: Makes 18 rounds
- Good olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces creamy Gorgonzola or other blue cheese, at room temperature
How to pull it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and cook until soft, about 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Stir in the capers and basil, and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Set aside. (I added some additional Italian Seasoning as I had a bit left that I wanted to get rid of)
- Slice the baguette crosswise into 18 thin round slices. Brush the bread rounds lightly with olive oil on 1 side. Arrange them in rows, oil side up, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Top each toast round with a teaspoonful of the pepper mixture. Place 2 small pieces of Gorgonzola on top.
- Return the toast to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes and warm through. Serve immediately.